A tap and die set is a tool used for creating threads on a piece of material, such as a bolt or a piece of pipe. When buying a tap and die set, there are a few things to consider:
- Size: Make sure the set includes the sizes of taps and dies that you will need for your project. Standard sets usually include a range of sizes, but if you have a specific project in mind, you may need to purchase a larger set or individual taps and dies.
- Material: Taps and dies come in a variety of materials, including high-speed steel, cobalt, and carbide. High-speed steel is a good all-purpose option, but cobalt and carbide are more durable and can handle tougher materials.
- Thread type: Taps and dies come in different thread types, such as UNC, UNF, NPT, and metric. Make sure the set includes the thread type you need for your project.
- Quality: Look for a set that is well-made and has a good reputation for durability.
- Use: Decide the frequency of use of the set, if it's going to be used occasionally, then buying a set with a lesser number of Taps and Dies will work, but if it's going to be used regularly then buying a set with a higher number of Taps and Dies will be beneficial.
- Brand: Look for a reputable brand, such as US PRO & Sealey which are known for producing high-quality tap and die sets.
By considering these factors, you can find a tap and die set that will meet your needs and last for many years.